Sunday 12 February 2012

Vintage French postcards

One question I am often asked, is what are my favourite types of vintage postcards? The answer may surprise you - I really love the old French street scenes - one of my own favourites is this rare vintage card of Le Tronquay, Maison de Commerce.... note the store owner posing on the step for the photographer, surrounded by other locals.


Le Tronquay is only a tiny village, it's situated in Calvados.  In 2008 it's population had dropped to 480.  So yes, it's an expensive card (£24) which captures a moment in time outside the village store.   Tempted to keep it not sell it  (I'll never be a millionaire!)

Here's another - La Gorgue (Nord) - I wonder how long it took to get the village locals to line up and pose, especially the children?  This card is one of three we currently have of La Gorgue.


Next we are visiting Lens in Pas-de-Calais; Rue de la Gare. Another favourite of mine and for sale in the store.


 Maybe not quite as interesting is this one of Lunel, in Herault; not as many people in this one but it still gives an idea of olde worlde France.... if I can use that phrase.



This card of Bayeux gives a rather ethereal feel - or was it just that it was a rainy day?


From Bayeux we travel to Bray-sur-Somme, which as you will assume, is in the Somme area of France. This is entitled La Poste (The Post Office).  Again, unposted, but probably circa 1915.  The card has a few marks on it, but still retains some charm.



Hope you've enjoyed a little trip through some of our old French postcards - if you'd like to see the full list of French cards in our store, click  HERE

2 comments:

  1. Last Easter I was lucky enough to launch a ship(!) at Boulogne and we stayed in Le Touquet. I absolutely loved it and now wonder whether a lot of that is due to the evocative atmosphere of the place. I, like you, am obsessive about social history and genealogy... It truly was a 3 days to remember and I shall certainly be going back.

    Thanks for a wonderful website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete